A very important question of the times and a responsibility I feel as a provider of materials, is how are we as a company doing from a sustainability standpoint. Is our company doing everything it can to be environmentally friendly and provide a clean and safe product for our customers and for our planet? The answer is, we do care, we are trying the best we can, and we can do more. In fact, one of my goals for 2023 is to become “transparent” and to certify our products in a more formal way.
From a sustainability standpoint, metal is a clear choice for designers seeking a durable long lasting and beautiful material option . We strive for clean environments and eco-friendly green technology, from inception through fabrication and delivery. The advantage of constructing with metal is that the majority of fabrication and assembly has to be done off-site, thus reducing on-site labor, cycle time, and construction waste. In general, Modern Metal makes small choices that hopefully helps to contribute to a more sustainable environmentally conscious society. Our vendors are environmentally conscious and share our goals. Our fabricators use clean processes, such as nitrogen lasers for less air pollution. We ship with companies that offer carbon neutral shipping services in order to offset the environmental impact of our shipments, and all of our materials are made in the US.
Our most commonly used materials and finishing processes
Here are some fun facts I’m sharing with you about our most commonly used materials and finishing processes. I always welcome feedback and ideas from you, our global community, as to how we can improve.
All of our designs are original and authentic; authentic design of undisputed origin and genuine. It is important to us that the process we use, and the materials we offer to be equally authentic so that when we bring you our designs, you’ll feel that much better about where they came and their recycling properties.
- Steel is the most recycled material in the world
- Once steel is made, it is reused infinitely making it one of the only truly cradle to cradle materials
- The energy expended to create and process steel is worthwhile
- Stainless steel is a green product, it is 100% recyclable
- Stainless steel is a very efficient reflector of solar energy, and has the capacity to last the life of a the building
- Aluminum is one of the most environmentally friendly metals on the planet
- Aluminum is endlessly recyclable
- The recycling process saves 95% of the energy that it would cost to produce aluminum
- Powder coat is an eco-friendly green technology, safe for the environment without generating harmful solvents or airborne pollutants
- Powder coating is considered a “green” process, as it is VOC free. It is much more environmentally friendly than liquid paint.
- There is little to no hazardous waste associated with powder coating
- It does not generate harmful solvents or airborne pollutants, and is safe for the people who work with it.
- High quality powder coating allows for a maintenance free long lasting life. No harsh chemicals or solvents needed to clean it.